Your year in cycling and triathlon - Season Recap

Hi everyone! I invite you to share, at any level of detail (or no detail at all), some or all of the events, races, and/or notable rides that you participated in this year. What have you learned? Did you surprise yourself in any way? Any regrets? Good moments, bad moments? Anything you want to try (or repeat) for the upcoming year?

Powderhorn 24! It’s a 24-hour neighborhood race with bonus checkpoints that require you do things like sing karaoke or disco dance or make a spoke card. I rode solo women and came in second place. I had two flats in the dark in the over night hours that were frustrating but I managed to not let it get me down. I got lost looking for a bonus stop but didn’t give up. I missed a bonus stop because I wasn’t wearing glasses at night and I couldn’t read the bonus cue sheet with the time cutoff on it. I also stopped riding after a little over 23 hours because I had saddle sores and every bump in the road was painful and I was so very tired and just wanted to be done.

But I had a fantastic fun time! I am going to do it again in 2019 and with all the things I learned of what to do and what not to do, I have a pretty good chance of coming in first since the winning solo woman beat me by only one point.

I tried crit racing in the spring and while I had fun and learned a lot and built some skills and confidence, I don’t think I will be crit racing again in 2019. I really like long rides, that’s what I have the most fun doing. I am going to join the local randonneuring club and try some brevets and see how that goes :smiley:

2018 was the first year that I followed a training plan/coach. After racing long endurance gravel races for the past 4 years the wife said it’s taking too much time. So I switched back to crit racing. I love crit racing, I ventured to Tulsa for Tulsa Tough. No noteworthy results, but a learning experience with new found strength from the training. So I enjoyed have a set schedule of workouts and free rides to get me ready to race. I’m looking forward to Tulsa Tough in 2019

Like Aaron, this was my first year doing any sort of structured training plan and coaching. My prior experience was mostly in HIIT style strength workouts, pilates, yoga, and the occasional 30 minute Zwift ride. I happened to catch an ODZ group ride and learned about the labs and started up in late March and I’ve seen a lot of improvement in my overall fitness and strength.

@Coach_Ian got me interested in triathlons so I did my first sprint tri in July which was a lot of fun. I have family overseas in France who are really into CrossFit so I got them interested in doing a little unofficial family triathlon during my visit in August. We all had a blast despite riding bikes with broken shifters, rear kid carriers, and a few cuts on the feet from swimming over oyster fields :slight_smile: They want to make it an annual tradition now!

I finished up my “season” with an 8K run at the AWS re:invent conference in Las Vegas where I knocked about 90 seconds off my best training 8k time to finish in 34:17.

What I’m looking to focus on in 2019 is my mental game - on reflecting on what worked/didn’t work over 2018, I noticed that I’d tend to be negative on myself if I missed a scheduled workout and then try and cram that session in on some other day - resulting in trying to do too much. So the plan is to let those things slide and just make peace with the fact that work/life/family sometimes gets in the way of a workout.

I’m really looking forward to 2019, my current event plan is:

• IM 70.3 - Williamsburg, VA (May)
  • Armed Forces Challenge Ride (June)
  • AWS Re:invent race (Nov)

Thanks to all the coaches for a great year of training!

What have you learned?

• Spending a significant amount of training indoors works. No need to fret when it is raining.
  • Work on mental skills. These skills will pay off in training and a race.
  • Day-to-day nutrition is just as important as pre/post-workout, workout, and race day nutrition.
  • Keep the core strong, your body will thank you on long rides.

Did you surprise yourself in any way?

• I didn’t expect retiring from work was going to be so hard. The Lab was the bridge between pre and post retirement.
  • I signed the hubby up for VIP at Half Ironman Victoria, BC. I was happily surprised he liked the pampering (food, parking pass, a VIP drinking glass, …)

Any regrets? No

Good moments, bad moments?

• Half Ironman Victoria, BC was the best. The timing felt right. I could resolve any issues on the fly.
  • I’ve forgotten about the bad moments or can laugh about them now.

Anything you want to try (or repeat) for the upcoming year?

• Lavaman Triathlon (March)
  • Pacific Crest 25K Trail Run (June)
  • Explore more rails-to-trails gravel rides
  • Make preparations for 2020. Volunteer @ RAMROD. Anything to help if do an Ironman in 2020.

Agree with Mike. Thanks to the coaches for a great year of training!

I would like to thank all the coaches and lab participants (aka lab rats) for this past year. Like many of you, this was my first year of using a plan and a coach. I can’t say enough good things about my experience.

My first big event of 2018 was Rasputista- a 43 mile, 4000+ Ft climbing “gravel” event in Northern Vermont in April. It stopped snowing the day before the race. What was supposed to be 6 of us, ended up being 3. I had never done an event like this and my goal was to ride all the climbs and complete the event. Due to the bad weather, we all rode mountain bikes- mine being a dual suspension. We all completed it, I rode all the climbs and we had a blast!
I am going back again, with twice the amount of people and new goals.

My second big event was to repeat a 66 mile mountain bike race. It is a point to point race, so no laps, and minimal support. I had been struggling from a health standpoint and was off the bike for most of the week. My coach was suggesting I have a plan B, if I needed to abort part way through the race. I did not have a great start, got behind someone who fell and bottlenecked the trail. I did not feel good for the first 10 miles (lots of pain and heart rate pegged). I basically said to myself, “just do your best, and see what happens.” My legs and heart eventually settled in and I actually finished in over 90 minutes faster than the year before. It’s never over til it’s over.

Next year, I will continue my many social rides including the 4 ice cream stop ride (Tour de Creme). Rasputista 2019. I am also doing a 6 day Bike Maine ride in September 2019. My other goals are to meet more of my zwift friends and ride in real life and help coach middle/high school mountain biking again.

Looking forward to another year of the Endurance Lab. Thank you @Stefanie for being such a fun workout partner!

@Petals it’s been fantastic! I love working out with you and getting up to no good. :unicorn: forever! :rainbow:

It’s been a great year for me in the labs. My goal was to train with the coaches for one solid year and just see what would happen. I really don’t have any specific racing goals that are that important anymore. I do like one hour Crits and did very well at my local Tuesday night training criteriums. I also like track racing and did very well at my Wednesday night local track events. Considering I did not show up that much, when I did I competed very well and all my local buddies wanted to know what the hell happened to me because I was kicking their ass.

I did have a few failures such as the state 40 km time trial. It was in July, it was extremely hot, I did the first 20 km to fast and proceeded to melt down and cry like a baby for the second 20 km. Simply put I would need more time on that specific bicycle to get better at that race. But I did pretty good at some of the shorter time trials.

What I really learned was having a consistent training plan with a reason, and with a group of people all in it with me together was an amazing motivational experience. All of the coaches and all of us lab rats together really made something special happen this year. So again it wasn’t anyone specific race that was my goal, rather I just wanted to see how well I could do as an all-around cyclist. One thing I did very well at was the local FondoS. I wrote a couple of them very strong and really enjoyed pulling into the parking lot ahead of 80% of the pack easily

My biggest challenge and perhaps my biggest mistake is my work hours. Again for the last two years I have been commuting about 70 minutes each way to work, and now I run a significant engineering team with a lot of responsibility. Somehow doing that, and being the strongest cycle list I’ve ever been has been amazing. By the way all of the philosophies we learn in the lab, help me be a great team leader and manager at work. But my biggest lesson was in the summer we are allowed to work nine hour days and take every other Friday off. That extra one hour of work combined with the long days of summer exhausted me

Late in the summer I came down with mono. It is probably due to working too hard and training and staying up late because let’s face it the sun stays out late. It was just too much.

This summer season I will not opt in for the nine our schedule. I will continue to work eight hours, cut my lunch break short, and cut out of work a little bit earlier every day and work on keeping each day a little shorter. Who cares about having every other Friday off, if you’re too exhausted to enjoy it. So there is my biggest lesson Learned and what I will do differently in 2119. I do look forward to another year of great training in the labs and just being an all-around strong cyclist, great dad, great team leader at work, And all-around good guy.

Thank you endurance lab coaches and all of you lab rats for all of the support. The cost of the labs is very affordable and the whole experience is awesome

I always enjoy your posts. It is fun to watch how we put what we learn in the lab into our lives.

I am amazed at all the different types of events you participate in. I look forward to hearing another year of your adventures!

I’ve.
Come to the conclusion that. My mission in life,is to,postivly influence people as much as povssible People working together is an a,azimg concert

Your stories are so inspiring to us as coaches, and I am sure they are also inspiring to your fellow athletes. I can say that this is the reason I get to work every day… I am thankful that I get to support you on your journeys. Please keep those stories coming!