What to do when training starts to suck

I came across a podcast that discussed how to look at what you are doing when your “purpose” or passion activity starts to suck. The episode itself was more job-related, but I found that there was a lot that can relate to training for events and races.

Often, we forget why we are training and get mired in the enormity of the task ahead of us. Some days, you just don’t want to put in the work and would rather stay in bed. Some days, you utterly bomb the workout.

All of that is normal. Sometimes, you just have to remember why we are training in the first place: we like to go fast! Seriously, though, listen to the episode if you get a chance, and let us know your thoughts. Personally, I took away a few things. 1) Long, hard training days suck, but they suck for a reason. If I don’t put in the work, I won’t have a good race. 2) I am really glad that I don’t race for a career. It allows me to manage my expectations and shift my priorities around without waking up the night before a race with cold sweats, wondering if I will win enough prize money to pay for gas to get home.