What is your main cycling or triathlon event/race for the year?

So… am I interpreting things right in that I will always be at a disadvantage with e-racing because I live at altitude and therefore, will have an adjusted FTP/power output, compared to those at sea level?
-Angie

Angie, why do you believe you have not yet acclimated to the altitude?

I mostly see it with my running. I cannot seem to get my Pace below a 9-minute mile but when we travel to sea level, I have no problem with the first run out at 8:30s.

I checked off one of my bucket list climbs on Sunday. That was a ride up Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic National Park. I was stressing out over 18 miles of non-stop climbing. Karma was on my side. A friend and his family stayed at the same hotel and reassured me the grade wasn’t steep and he didn’t ride the breaks going down.

I estimated my HR would be in the 150-160s climbing. It was an average of 148. I put the bike in the granny gear and felt great beating my estimated time with stops by 45 minutes. I think I have improved my aerobic capacity.

Going down I was on the breaks. In retrospect, I could have gone faster. I didn’t like the curves and exposure. Guys were bombing down and at times pedaling to go faster as I was breaking.

Here is the relive. After that ride, I have a couple more events in September.

Beautiful place! Beating your estimated time by 45 minutes is impressive- congrats!

Wow @goldendogy! Well done! Clearly you underestimated yourself if you beat your target time by 45 minutes! All your hard work paying off. Congratulations!

Wow! Great job! I find that downhills can be more intimidating. It takes practice to bomb down hills and trust your wheels and handling skills.

Congrats @goldendogy! 45 min faster than expected is amazing!!!

Tina, great work. That is amazing that you were able to crush your estimated time! You’ve definitely put in a ton of work over the past year, so it’s not a surprise.

All events for this season done, so here is my short season recap:

Rhön Radmarathon

432 TSS

Glocknerkönig

41. out of 450 starters in my age group, 290W average.

Engadiner

1. out of 175 in my age group, 377 TSS

Arber

414 TSS. Averaged 33,2 kph on this ride and finished not far behind the lead group among the first 20 riders out of over 1000. My peak performance for 2018!

And finally Ötzi 2018 with epic (bad!) conditions

411 TSS, it was actually only about 5000 meters of climbing. Due to the bad weather conditions this was one of the hardest bike rides in my life. Average temperature on my garmin for this ride was 7C and it was wet almost the whole ride. The downhills were so cold. Just finishing under these conditions was a real mental challenge. In the end i was really suprised about the time. Now i know what i am capable of in normal or good weather conditions. Next year i will aim for a time below 8:30h. 267. out of 1700 in my age group.

Overall i had a great season. Now i will enjoy my off season…Ride on everyone!

Fantastic season @methfessel! Congratulations on all the really great rides!

Yes, great season indeed! Thanks for sharing the stories and the awesome pictures. Riding in the cold when it’s wet is THE hardest weather; impossible to keep warm. Congrats on overcoming it!

And fortunately i stayed healthy :grinning:

At some point in the season i switched my preparation for the long rides with lots of climbing to a rather old school plan. So, if the ride contains 3-4 long climbs with 1000-1500m of climbing each, you have to ride 3-4 times @70-80% of ftp for 60-90 Min 3-4 times. And that’s what i did most of the times in my training rides, a lot of 60-90min tempo intervals with low cadence, 60min SSt Intervals or even 3x30FTP intervals on a 4-5 hour ride. But to be honest, if you have to climb passo rombo (27K with 1700m of climbing) with 170k and 3300m of climbing already in the legs, you just turn the pedal over without thinking about the Watts anymore :slight_smile: Actually i did passo rombo, which is the last climb of the ötzi, at only 67% of ftp, and that was all i had in the legs. So the goal for 2019 will be to increase strength Endurance for sure…

Who is racing Cyclocross? Here is the list of events in the Chicago area - I will do a few of these this year:

We have some great gravel grinders in the area during the fall and it’s great mountain biking weather.

I will try to hit a few cross races. One of the bike shops runs a weekly Wednesday night cross training series under the lights. We also have some fun cross events in the area. I do not have full range of motion in my right wrist (plate and 8screws) and was unable to bend it to lift my bike last year. It will be interesting to see how it goes this year.

Look forward to hear about your experiences.

I did it. Podium’d my last triathlon of the season!

Congratulations @adm0629! What a fantastic way to end the season! Really well done!

@adm0629. Great job! It’s nice seeing your hard work paying off!

Awesome job!

Congratulations!!! Time to celebrate!!! :tada::muscle::confetti_ball: