What do you think this "workout" is building?

This is an “endurance” ride from Strava posted today. What do you think a ride like this is working. NOTHING! If you have to ride like this because your legs are exhausted from yesterday then you went too hard yesterday. Go less hard yesterday so you can actually work something today. Even if you are just working on cadence and transition control, work something.

As someone who rode like this for years, I can tell you this will not make you stronger and is a waste of time. When was the last time you dropped someone riding like this… Um, never. So why train something you won’t use???

I think Drew’s point here is that this rider spent pretty much all of the time in one endurance zone. It’s OK to be in one zone if the ride is a recovery ride - and by recovery ride I mean watching-paint-dry-slow and easy (~50% of FTP), which this was not. So I agree that a steady ride at 70% achieves nothing in terms of training and adaptation.

It goes back to our previous discussion about incorporating some changes in cadence and zones into a ride and how that is important.

As someone who does a steady state ride at ~70% FTP weekly without fail, I’d argue that it’s not the fact that it’s focused on a single zone, but the fact that it’s only 45min of zone 2. I can say that 180 min of 70% FTP definitely has a legit effect on fitness.

That being said, it looks like this person simply blew off doing anything structured and just called it “Endurance” cause they thought it sounded better than “I didn’t want to do anything legit today”, but I still want to enjoy being on the bike.

You have a point, Justin. I agree that doing 2-3 hs in that zone is definitely a workout. I would challenge you though to include variations in your steady state ride, even if it is only cadence and body position variations, but ideally power variations as well. If you are benefiting and are strong already (let’s face it, you are very strong), I can only imagine how much stronger and faster you could be!!

I’ll also throw in that the comments about time in one zone applies much more to cycling than triathlon. Granted, it’s not Z2, but when training for long course, I will spend a couple three or four hours in Z3, easy. But, you spend 5-6 hours at 70-80% for an IM, depending on your abilities.

As for the post itself, yeah, it’s not an endurance ride at 45 minutes. Unless you are my competition, then, please, do this kind of “endurance” ride all of the time.

Most of these posts I’m making are a “regurgitation” of what I myself am learning. I would never be able to come up with them myself.

What I’ve learned about Endurance Rides is that in order to make them more effective they need to be mixed in with something else. For example, for me riding 260-70 steady is endurance. I can do that pretty easily at a steady pace. However, if I mix up that endurance with something hard the 260 becomes more difficult and I’m actually working hard to hit the number.

For example, here is how I work my endurance zone.

Some 10 minute effort around 270 - high cadence, low cadence, standing, seated
3x5 - mixed bag around 325 - 350 - again high, low, standing, seated
3x5 - some new variation of above
5x15" sprints

After you do the above, legs are tired, I’ve hit my glycogen stores, and then I work on endurance efforts.

4 x 10’ efforts at 270 - standing, seated, high, low… 5’ recovery between them

Again, I’m regurgitating what I’m learning and it has been very effective over the last year. It’s totally different than anything else out there so it’s difficult to absorb this without seeing everything else that goes into it. I would just encourage people to try endurance efforts on tired legs with depleted glycogen stores.