What do you do when you fall out of love with riding outdoors?

I’m not sure or how this has happened but I seem to have lost my love for road rides :disappointed:. We’ve had super hot weather in the UK over the past two months and I found it more comfortable to do my lab sessions indoors with a couple of large fans set up in my pain cave. Having killed my indoor bike I’ve had to connect my outdoor bike to my kickr… I’ve not ridden on the road since completing Velo Wales in mid July and that was a closed road event.
I’m trying not to get hung up about it but the fact I’m raising it in the forum must mean it’s bothering me.
So what’s stopping me enjoying the great outdoors? I’m happy to get out on the MTB trails but prefer being on the trainer rather than the road… on my last outdoor ride from home I encountered bad drivers (and cyclists) and pot holes which really sucked the fun out of my experience.
Have others ever gone through a period where they just didn’t want to take their road bike out where it belongs?

Totally understand! This happened to me last fall. Mid-September through October and a few days in early November we had gorgeous perfect riding weather. But all my events for the year were done and it was so much easier to hop on Zwift. I just couldn’t summon the mental stamina to ride outdoors. It ended up being a long, cold winter and by mid-February I was longing for the snow to melt and the the roads to be clear of ice so I could go outdoors.

Don’t beat yourself up about it. Enjoy your riding no matter where you are. Maybe you just need a little mental health break and pretty soon a beautiful day will get you back outside again.

I go through periods of time where I’d rather do one type of biking over another. Some years, I’ve ridden mostly mountain bikes, other years mostly road. This is my first year with a trainer and my only road bike is on the trainer, so I’ve done very limited outdoor road rides this season.

I wouldn’t be too hard on yourself for wanting to do indoor instead of outdoor riding. The nice thing is we all have choices. As long as you are enjoying what you’re doing, I wouldn’t be worried.

I agree with what Stefanie and Linda posted here.

It could be a phase, or not. A lot of factors can play into what you feel like doing for a while. I am having the opposite issue- I am finding it really hard to get on the trainer and I just want to be outside. To the point that I don’t even want to look at Zwift pages on Facebook anymore. At the end of the winter, though, it was the opposite, I was dreading going outside.

Either way, don’t judge it and don’t read too much into it. Go with the flow. Do whatever you feel is best for you right now. There are so many things in life that we HAVE to do even though we don’t want to… cycling (whether only indoors or only outdoors or both) should not be one off them… it should be something that we like doing and that brings in positivity and well-being.