Thinking about taking a break from training? Think again!

Some really great insight on loosing fitness during a break or even a taper for that matter.

sometimes we got to take the hit when rest is needed! Guess we cannot be at peak all the time either. yet ideal is activity and rest. i do believe that the mind needs rest also so sometimes the mind and body need different things. so long as things never slip into lazy. we must discuss this on CC… it is a good topic
If you are following kona peeps after kona it is interesting; some like Ryf and Lange seem to me on proper down time and fun (and fun training) whereas Sanders is back at it with a vengeance…rest is important

Very interesting article. Like Andrea, I had to take time off due to illness (about 3 months). It was very hard to get my fitness back and I had to learn to embrace the journey back to fitness. Every time my condition crops up, I hope it does not force me off the bike too long because I know how hard it is to get the fitness back. So I am always bumping between doing too much and resting.
One thing I have learned is it is okay to take a couple weeks off the bike or switch the type of exercise I’m doing. The worst thing that happens is to burn out of cycling.

Interesting article. I agree with the 2 weeks detraining. In 2016 I had surgery. I was lectured not to do anything for 2 weeks. I could hardly walk the 1st week. Yet by 8 weeks post surgery, I was surprised to have bounced back and ramped back up to previous levels. This occurred at the end of training for an Ironman.

The illness made me rethink what I would have done differently. I was taking 2 days of rest per week, and other measures appropriate for someone my age. I think the level of Ironman training (physical) and a stressful job (mental) was a challenging mix. I have learned to listen to my body more.

My husband took 6 months off after he broke his neck. It took him a year to get his fitness level back. I compared it to how fast he hikes. The 1st season post neck brace I could keep up with his hiking. The 2nd season, I no longer could keep up.

I’ve had a couple of 6-8w breaks … when I break something … haha.
Both times because of said injury the simple need to take it easy (one had a blood pressure / heart rate limitation for example) I found that 6-8w after the off period I was working hard again. Probably another 6-8w again to be doing roughly what I was doing before.

We’ve touched in rest time again in this thread. I still haven’t worked out what works and doesn’t work for me in the last couple of years. Unless i was a professional athlete with a fixed diet/fixed patterns of sleep and training I suspect I’ll never know. Training is all a bit random in a ‘normal’ life …
Did a long ride yesterday … but it wasn’t a vo2 type effort. Hardly any working hard efforts. Just long.
Does that mean I shouldn’t ride today? I have no idea.

Roadbikerider has been doing some blog posts on aging with the below comment. I use to do what he mentioned where I road short on Wednesdays and road long (25-100 miles) on Saturdays. i road 2 days a week. This last year with Endurance Lab, I increased the # of days I ride.

Frequency. Frequency is more important than volume as you work to slow down the loss of fitness or to regain fitness. In other words you’ll get more benefit riding four days a week for a total of 100 miles than doing one 25-mile ride mid-week and 75 miles on the Saturday.

Does the above comment hold true?

Good question. I don’t sadly find it’s a choice thing. It’s a time availability thing … I often have time on Saturdays to do longer rides.

I am pretty sure I’m screwing up fitness not being able to do harder workouts though. I miss those already.

Yes…and no. Yes, you will get more benefit from riding more often. If your target event is a longer ride of say 100 miles, though, maxing out at 25 miles will not get you there.

It holds true with swimming, too. The more often you can get in the water, even if only for 20 minutes, the better feel for the water you will have.