Stitch when running

Hi all and our favourite coaches!
I have a question please… most likely for triathlon hero @Coach_Ian
So, I have been mostly cycling, zwift, for the last year and previous to that dabbled in a bit of running but nothing serious or particularly impressive! Just enough to get me through triathlons when the mood took me! Now I have a triathlon 1st July and whilst I am bike prepared I’m not very run prepared and totally unprepared for swimming but that’s not this post! I’ve ran maybe twice a week for the last 8 weeks. No problems but I’ve been running comfortably and often with a buggy. Today I ran a 5km fun race but of course ran hard because I’m competitive. Anyway I was crap. I got this awful awful stitch around my stomach right side so bad that it felt like I had a knife in me. I had to stop 4 times! I was getting this problem last time I was run training a couple years back. Back then I tried all sorts like assessing food intake before running and breathing better and nothing really resolved it and I was hoping that seeing as I’ve been fine these last couple of months it was history. Now I’m really angry it’s back. Has anyone got any wisdom they can share as to what this might be or things to try? I neeeeeed to be able to do this triathlon without being in total agony! And it took me 27 mins today, I was aiming for 25 and want sub 25 in the tri, I’m not sure I’ll do that if this continues :sob:
Yours hopefully!
Jackie

Hi Jackie - I ran across this video a few weeks ago https://www.globaltrinetwork.com/video/how-to-prevent-deal-with-a-side-stitch-while-running and they have several tips on preventing and dealing with a side stitch. Good luck and hopefully you can figure out what works for you!

1 Like

Jackie,

We covered this on Coaches Corner this week for you.

1 Like

I used to get them all of the time and I worked really hard on focusing my breathing. Breathing in and out on each step and also to make it an odd number with each step (say… 3 in 4 out).

1 Like

Awesome thank you coaches!

Thanks kiersten! I shall try this! I don’t breathe well actually! I gasp for air and am not very rhythmic!

@jackie.delph This is an old but good article on breathing technique. Hope it helps! https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20822091/running-on-air-breathing-technique/

1 Like