Share your dinner (plus comments from our favorite Nutritionist)

wow dinner and mustard look really good!!!

OMG I so need this in my life!!! Will now be frantically searching the web to see if anyone in the UK sells something similar…

If I took the almond flour out would I need to replace with anything else @Michelle do you think?
Looks great. And actually have most of that stuff handy.

Oh damn. There’s a few comments about the flour thing. I’ll read them too

if the sausages are really lean dont be afraid to put a dash of oil/ fats with the veggies e.g. extra virgin olive, coconut or real butter. this aids the absorption of the fat soluble goodies like vitamin K, beta carotene and vitamin E (fat soluble nutrients are A D E and K, and many plant antioxidants absorb better with a little fat also). these need fats to be optimally absorbed. but sometimes the fat in the meats will suffice. just a tip! that said this is a prep for an event meal so avoid the fats if they make the meal harder to digest for you.

this is a very good read https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/6-unhealthy-norms-plaguing-us-all

Michelle, this stuff is from a local producer in Southern Ontario. I just looked at their site and I don’t think they have a very wide distribution.

Even if it were not “live” “probiotic” and all that other good stuff, it’s still one of the tastiest mustards I’ve had. It reminds me a little of the mustard sauce in Cross and Blackwell’s Picalilli I used to have as a kid.

These sausages were from my local butcher. He’s rather old-fashioned: there’s plenty of fat. I once asked him if he had a lower fat sausage and he looked at me like I was from another planet.
That was only the third serving of meat I had last week, which I’m quite happy about. Getting plenty of nuts, eggs and beans in my diet to compensate. I hope I’m getting enough fat. I don’t think of myself as “olio-phobic”. :slight_smile:

I think you would need to increase the dry material a little to ensure it’s not too sloppy - In my most successful batch I replaced the flour with chopped nuts and seeds

Ok, ta. I think I’ve just realised. I could use Huel as a sub.
Ok, will pass this on to the nearest 14yr old :slight_smile: minion that I can find (aka someone who likes doing this kind of thing)

Thanks for this.

@Michelle there are quite a lot of recipes online for fermented mustard interestingly

here are some protein bomb recipes that I made a couple of years ago https://andreacullenhealthsolutions.com/2014/11/18/protein-energy-balls-bars/

(checking cupboards, pantry) thanks a lot for that, Andrea. My daughter will be all over this too. She’s been a vegetarian since she was old enough to make the connection between animals and food. We’re always concerned about her protein intake. Fortunately she loves nut butters.

Interesting, Marc. I have a similar scenario with my daughter but not sure there is a reason behind it. She just does not like to eat animal protein often. She naturally chooses vegetarian foods and there is no convincing her to eat any different way. She likes eggs, chicken and fish, and probably eats those 3 times/week.

My daughter will not eat any meat. She will eat eggs if they’re in other things and she is fine with dairy products. She is a “conscientious objector” I suppose. Looking at her, she seems to be doing fine in finding the macro nutrients to grow–she’s 5’ 5" at 12 years old-- but I do worry about iron and other micros that she might be missing. We recently took her to our GP and she had blood work done to check the iron, which we haven’t heard back about. Anyway, next step is to take her to a nutritionist, mostly for her own education. My wife is learning a lot about vegetarian, vegan cooking right now because she has had her own issues with food sensitivities in the last year, so at least we’re finding more that my daughter will eat.

It is an interesting one, in ways although we know higher protein is good, i dont think we disappear with less and the body is probably highly adaptive. Just ensure variety and as close to natural sources as possible. e.g. beans lentils, eggs, tofu, tempeh, dairy that is organic and full fat.

there are concerns for nutrients like vitamin A as retinol, carnitine, if an athlete then creatine levels can be very low, iron, B12, zinc, and importantly DHA and EPA. vegetarian foods can be significantly lacking. fermented foods, butter, and maybe some supplements can be helpful.

further down the line it may be good to do a spectracell micronutrient panel as a basic blood test will not see much.

smart girl in so many ways with a big heart!. I was vegetarian for a good stint (to save animals) but i did it all wrong and it became disordered and i suspect i may have impacted my growth as i am the shorty in the family by a bit. so she does need to weigh it all up and be smart about it. in other words she may need to put a bit of work into her own body and nutrition as well as the cause.

best of luck. PS search well for a nutritionist, maybe even a sports dietician that is vegetarian as not all are sympathetic to a vegetarian lifestyle which is unfair . westen A price speaks about the essential nutrients A and K, worth a look. they endorse eating meat but their info on Vit A and D is helpful.

Dinner prep…I’ll try to get more of these made. I did this after my run so got reflectively caught covered up in a house gown lol to not get cold in my running gear. Doh. I’ll know next time

Ps I am a sucker for oat bread and often have a slice with my dinner. But I make allowance for this in the day

It’s March and after he snowiest February on record in the Twin Cities and the 4h snowiest month on record–we got 39 inches of snow in 28 days–I really want it to be spring. But we didn’t even reach zero fahrenheit today. So we had some yummy comfort food for dinner. Roasted delicata squash with black bean tempeh over brown rice with a tofu “cream cheese” sauce that had nutritional yeast, curry powder, liquid smoke, and a little yellow mustard.

Wow, that looks like yummy comfort food for cold weather. Same here. Seattle broke snow and cold records in February. If anything, I learned kale and parsley can survive covered in snow.

Not dinner but a post-dinner treat that I managed to persuade Hannah to try and she loved it so much I’ve been asked to make more!
Banana flapjack

2 x ripe bananas mushed up; 150ml plant based milk; 125g GF oats; 30g of mixed seeds (I used chia and sunflower); 1 tsp cinnamon; 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar. I also threw in a handful of dried cranberries and a few crushed nuts.
Bake at 170 for 45 mins, allow to cool (this takes patience and self control) before slicing and impressing your sceptical other half.