Share your dinner (plus comments from our favorite Nutritionist)

No idea. I buy them frozen :see_no_evil: but it is a mix of cauliflower and tapioca flour for the gooey effect.

I will try to remember to take a photo of my dinner for tonight. Homemade Spicy Jack Chicken Mac. Yummy!

Andrea - I’m lucky to have a Japanese market nearby with a sushi counter. 90 minute wait for carry out but so worth it.

Broccoli, Jasmine rice w/ yellow and red pepper, habanero pepper, garlic, turmeric, and basil, and chicken

Tostadas! Corn tortillas, homemade cashew cheese, avocado, brown rice, black beans, red quinoa, homemade tofu sour cream, and a tiny bit of siracha for some bite.

that chili looks great. I grew up in an English household, so we never had it. It was the first thing I learned to make without some input from my mum or dad. 90% of the time I use ground beef, but last week I decided to kick the beef habit: I’m only going to eat beef once a month in 2019, and I’m pretty sure I’ll be saving that for steak. I know this is something I can make just as well with beans and still get all the protein a “growing boy”, lol, needs.
Has anyone used “textured vegetable protein” in chili before?

Do you ever take something out of the freezer and can’t tell what it is?

Today I pulled a frozen container out of the freezer. I thought it was a delightful banana & cocoa powder mix (kinda like ice cream). It tasted odd. I think I actually ate frozen homemade tomato soup which I removed using an ice cream scoop!

OMG @goldendogy! I am going to be giggling about that one for the rest of the night :rofl:

i found this; i would actually not bother with frying them if i wanted to avoid more fat. I am going to try this! or some variation. https://blog.paleohacks.com/cauliflower-gnocchi/#

I dont know how @Stefanie feels but i prefer to avoid texturised vegetable/ soya protein as I feel that it is too “processed”. I feel the same way about quorn. Traditionally fermented tofu and tempeh i do like, and beans and legumes, eggs and so on.

You really do make vegan look delicious! How do you make the tofu sour cream. I am off dairy at the moment as it is exacerbating my throat (not too difficult as i was only having yogurt). i have been making coconut yogurt but this sour cream looks delicious!! the whole meal does. it looks quite foreign to many of us but i assume once you are used to prepping different foods it is fast and simple?

the black beans and black rice are full of antioxidants

I’ve used TVP before. It’s it good if you are looking for a meaty texture. We don’t use it very often though because I think there are other better whole food options. Green or brown lentils are really good in chili. Very nutritious and they will give you a thick “meaty” texture as well without all the processing of tvp.

Tostadas are a really fast and easy weeknight dinner especially if you have all or most of the ingredients ready to go.

Tofu sour cream is easy to make. A package of extra firm silken tofu, about a tablespoon of lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, about a teaspoon or so of minced garlic, and a pinch of pink Himalayan salt if you feel so inclined. Toss it all in a blender or food processor and whirl until smooth and creamy. If you don’t want to use tofu, you can substitute 2 cups of cashews soaked in water overnight. I think the cashew version is not quite as sour as the tofu version, but it’s still pretty good.

Yeah, i have done similar things before. It definitely makes you question your life choices for a minute or two. :rofl:

I think this is one of the best things I’ve read this week! Thank you! :joy:

Tonight’s dinner of crispy sweet and sour tofu and vegetables (on a bed of brown rice) with toasted seeds was super yummy :yum:
After squishing all the moisture out of the tofu I marinated it in a combination of tamari, cider vinegar, maple syrup, grated garlic, grated ginger and cayenne pepper then baked for 20 mins. Used some of the marinade on the veggies which I baked as well.

hungry!

Not the best food-tography, but I thought i would share my quick, after school “snack”: three egg, spinach and cheddar omelette on a whole wheat wrap. Often I don’t get to eat much at work—handful of nuts, piece of fruit, smoothie with protein powder, and 16 coffees—so I need something substantial when I come in through the door or I won’t stop grazing until bed time. This does the trick and only takes 5 minutes to prepare.

This is dinner tonight: spring mix, chicken, dried cranberries, 1/2 avocado, some cheese crisps
The second pic is lunch tomorrow: banana, mango, pineapple, apple, blueberries, and some chocolate granola

Friday night’s date night at home dinner: spicy garbanzo bean burgers with stoneground mustard and a little ketchup, tofu sour cream leftover from tostadas earlier in the week, and lettuce with a side of home made sweet potato chips. The chips are oil-free and made in the microwave. Use a mandolin to slice them thin, add some spice if desired (I used black pepper this time), lay out slices on parchment paper and microwave about 4 minutes. Crunchy potato chips without all the fat and other additives.