Looking for a cycling coach!

Hi,

I hope you guys know who I am. I am looking for a road cycling coach who has some previous experience. My race season is going to start by the ending of March and if you have some good recommendations, I would definitely welcome them. But I got a question. What if a coach is a professional cyclist? will that be too far or suit me? Thanks!

Hi Yajvan, so that I can better answer your question, please let me know:

1. How long have you been riding? Will this be your first race season?

2. Have you been doing structured training? If so, for how long?

3. When is your most important race of the season, and what type of race is it?

Thanks.

@Coach_Theia

1. I have been riding for a few years(very irregular) in the past. But I have been more consistent ever since 2016 as I found road cycling much more enjoyable compared to running which is what I was doing just to loose weight.
    Yes, this will be my first race season.

2. Yes, I have been doing structured training but sometimes I do deviate especially from some days. I have been doing structured training for the past 4 months. However I was not consistent with my training but I was just riding on a regular basis.

3. I have not kept any important race of the season as there is an average gap of 2 weeks between every race or so and I prefer doing training races on zwift.

Thanks

Thanks for that information. Considering where you are in your cycling journey, you would be able to benefit significantly and see improvements through a group-coached program, such as the Lab. I am not just saying this because it is a service we offer. I am saying this because if you were to work with a 1:1 coach right now, you’d likely see the same improvements, so not worth the extra cost, in my opinion.

Regarding having a professional cyclist as a coach - it all depends on the coach. But again, I would wait 1-2 years before considering that route so that you have more experience and specific outdoor racing goals. Another consideration here is the cost, which averages USD 500/month.

I get what you meant. This is my first time getting a cycling coach and I would like to know more about the lab. I am open for 2 workouts a day. The workouts which I do currently are the ones I get from here https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/ . I am 99.9% sure that a coach can easily identify my weakness and tell me that “You need to do this technique”,“Do it like this and not like this”,etc…
So first of all, is this lab a group workout only? or is it a workout which I will be given and I can do it at my side?. Secondly, what if I miss a workout? will my plan be adjusted?. Thirdly, how do people become “certified cycling coaches”. For example, @Coach_Theia is a USA certified cycling coach. Is this a professional course?. Fourthly, in case I need to make some adjustments in my plan, will it be possible?. Thanks

@yajvan. I’m 54 and will be racing in masters 55 plus in NJ USA this year. I’ve been on Team ODZ for two and a half years and been a student in the endurance labs since last fall. Before the endurance labs officially started team ODZ was sharing training plans and having the whole group do it together the season prior and I participated in that as well. I’m the captain of a local bike race team of mostly masters. I’ve been cycling for over 30 years and Racing for the last 20

Cycling is a hobby for me, I love it but I don’t let it rule my life and I make sure family and work comes first.

All that said, I have enjoyed the endurance lab more than having a one on one coach. It is very cool to be part of a whole group all doing mostly the same work out plan. The knowledge we share together is amazing, and it’s all because of social media and software like Zwift

After being into cycling so many years it’s amazing that the last two and especially this last one is where I learned so much more than I’ve ever known about training about cycling about my own personal limits

In the last two years I’ve lost 12 pounds, I’m physically strong, mentally strong, and my love for cycling has grown insanely. And again with the new smart trainers , social media, amazing technology I’m able to train much more than I ever have. My local teammates have seen the change over the last two years and they are blown away and I am one happy student of the endurance labs and one happy member of team 0DZ

Trust the endurance lab coaches and all the people you will meet in the group. It’s an amazing experience like you’ve never seen. The information sharing is awesome It’s also very inexpensive compared to a personal coach

There is my two cents.

Thanks, Dean!

The Lab is an 8-week training plan and include on average 4-5 workouts/week.

You can do the workouts at any time that is convenient for you, using a training software such as Trainer Road or Zwift, or outdoors with a power meter and bike computer. You will have access to the forum to ask questions. If you miss a workout or need to move the workouts around, you would be able to do that yourself- the coaches do not adjust your plan for you, but can answer questions about how to move the workouts.

Any detailed feedback on an athlete’s specific workout performance and individual consultations (for example, regarding weaknesses, strengths, etc.) are available as add-on services: https://www.endurancelab.fit/shop/

Lastly, information about USAC Certifications can be found here: https://legacy.usacycling.org/coaches/