Have you ever dealt with lower back pain on or off the bike? Dr. Maffetone presents a very holistic understanding on the cause? What have been your go-to long-term and quick remedies for your lower back pain?
Three common causes of low back pain include:
- A larger waist, from excess body fat, triggering weak abdominal and tight back muscles, and pain.
- Chronic inflammation, due to the combined excess body fat and poor diet, triggering pain in spinal joints.
- Muscle imbalance, which puts physical stress on spinal joints producing inflammation and pain.
…A more effective and faster remedy would be to:
- Address muscle imbalance through hands-on care.
- Address inflammation by eliminating dietary sugar and other refined carbohydrates , and unhealthy fats.
- Make other necessary lifestyle changes (associated with sitting, bad shoes, excess stress, and sleep).
Suggestions for dealing with back pain:
- Avoid using heat on inflamed areas; use cold, but avoid ice directly on the skin.
- Rule out serious conditions (usually by your primary care or other practitioner).
- Avoid grabbing for more extreme treatments first unless it is clearly warranted. For example, rather than surgery first, seek conservative care.
- Ask friends or relatives about their success with certain practitioners, especially those who are holistic, healthy and fit.
- The more successful therapist spends a good amount of time evaluating before treating.
- If your back pain is not better after a few hands-on treatments, that approach may not be best/working for you — avoid the notion that it took many months to develop your problem and could take the same time to correct it.