Diet / Nutrition Accountability Thread

Most of the time, cutting carbs means losing only water weight, considering that for each gram of carb, the body stores 2-3g of water. Also, 100g of carbs is the absolute minimum amount necessary to met the basic demands of the brain… need to be careful with cutting carbs. Read more here: Carbohydrate choices - coaches corner

In terms of wanting to eat more during recovery weeks, think of hunger as your body’s request for nutrition. Give it just any food, or food that does not provide the nutrition it needs, and it will continue to send hunger signals… The key during recovery weeks is to be very diligent about consuming nutritiously dense foods (tons of vegetables, quality protein, good fats). @cullenac provides great info on this topic here: Hungry all the time on recovery days

ok quick jump in here to play devils advocate

1. how do you know that your calorie assessment for IN and OUT is accurate? (Hint it probably has a lot of error; scientists cannot even get it correct and repeatable in a metabolic ward) there is a danger when counting the IN versus the OUT that we will eat more to make up for the low calorie days because we can (its nice to eat); you are best trying to eat a balanced plate every meal and use appetite as the guide. honestly… let the calorie tracker be a rough estimate if you like but please dont narrow down your food intake to make tracking easier. also; i believe fitness trackers have error also in calorie assessment and without an accurate measure of fat free mass we cannot gauge daily BMR… eat to support the training, and cut back a little at the other meals.

2. rapid weight gain and loss is probably carbohydrate/ muscle glycogen and water weight related and means nil regarding body composition changes. the only way to track changes is to monitor the week on week changes. if people seriously think that they have lost 4kg of fat mass after a week of carb deprivation they are deluded… just eat a few pizzas in one sitting and you will see the weight miraculously return. our bodies arent that good at weight gain and loss other than water and glycogen!!

3. if you are going to splash out on food and fall off the wagon choose protein, for many reasons you are less likely to gain weight or body fat eating more protein. ie at the BBQ load up on the meats (and salads); watch the beers and buns. if you are wanting lots of carbs eat them on the bike where at least you are going to perform well LOL

4. cutting carbs in an attempt to lose weight fast is a sure fire way to kid yourself about the rapid weight loss, impact your training quality, your recovery and positive adaptations, lead to a bad mood, and may compromise your immune system

FOR OPTIMAL BODY COMP THE STEADY EDDIE WINS; daily consistent strong nutrition and training… just like you approach training :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

sorry i am feeling badass today

FYI those with a family history of blood glucose issues/ diabetes/ autoimmune conditions may fare better on a low carb diet but please speak to an expert. it is better to manipulate the carbs to better choice and improved timing than omit completely if you are a fast competitive cyclist/ triathlete

also; consider weight training to aid body fat loss.

One of your best posts @cullenac!! I know that a summary like that is extremely valuable, and comes from knowledge of the science and experience of working with athletes (and being one yourself). Thank you!

Great posts by Theia and Andrea! I find when I track my meals and calories I make better choices. Seeing the impact of bad carbs (bread, pasta, etc.) keeps me more honest and steers me to healthier choices!

I did have success a couple years ago on the IF. As my workout intensities pick up again I will love to recovery type meals consisting of yogurt and fruit. I need the calcium in my diet to help keep my bones healthy.

I would encourage everyone to check out the other threads in the Sports Nutrition Category here.

The share your dinner and breakfast threads are a great way to get feedback on what you’re actually consuming.

There’s some great smoothie recipes and tons of other information on how to properly fuel your body to allow it to train and recover properly.

Good.time to explore the emotional connection to food and the pay off of comfort versus nourishing the injury. Clue there are healthy foods that taste good. Can you focus there?

something to think about:

the whys… why we aim for something must be deep and meaningful otherwise we sabotage ourselves.
why we train must have personal meaning
why we eat what we do relates to many many ideas that we have about our health and wellbeing and how important it is to put ourselves FIRST
who we are based on who we strive to be
most of us are afraid to be seen yet do everything we can to be seen… its a mad conflict but most of us actually sabotage being our desired weight and at our prime performance because what then… we are exposed
etc etc.

what does 11 stone represent? if you are NOT 11 stone dead what does this mean? is this your true goal? to be 11 stone dead? why is this more important than other ‘things’

what about eating to feel healthy, to be strong and powerful on the bike, to be ache free and recover well. to be doing something that nurtures and respects your body rather than pummels it to a defined power watt, or weight pound…

when goals mean something you will stick to them and avoid a never ending diet that ruins our self worth… replace diet with eating for nourishment, vitality and performance.

your goals must be for you, no one else, to achieve and be something that feels good and not to prove something.

our weight is often in so many ways related to more; emotions, fear, self love when we dont know another way (that pizza felt great after a shitty day didnt it until one hour later or the next weigh in), stress management… when you start to value yourself, your hard work and all that you achieve in the day you start to want to eat well to be well, to feel well and to perform well… when these are the goals the weight on the scales naturally goes to the second tier goal of a desired weight.

ie focus on the steps and the goals happen… same as in your training.

have a think, avoid being too hard on yourself… and enjoy the journey for all that we learn about ourselves.

then you catch the emotional eating, the self sabotage, the desire to show up based on what others think and not founded in what you choose… yep… some touchy feely emotional stuff in there to chew on

you are doing great… this is a nudge to everyone that our weight is NOT our self worth nor our most important performance indicator and our appetite mechanism is emotions and need for sustenance and not calories and grams

sorry for the weirdo talk… but our weight and food choices as much as our training success and performance starts in our heads… sort the head out first…

Good, clear goals :slight_smile:

Hope I’m not too late to join this I’m 58 long time indurance athlete but the weight has creeper up. I would like to lose a stone 5ft 9 inch 12 stone at the moment. I have done a 24.10 10 mile TT and 62.20 25 miler this year. So hopefully losing some weight will be a big help on the rolling courses
Thank you

David - welcome aboard! We welcome everybody!

I’ve been avoiding the scale myself. I get very anxious around weigh ins as I always feel I should be losing more weight more rapidly.

Andrea - all great comments and I’m guilty of a lot of these.

I know that I’m carrying extra pounds and that losing them will make me healthier and faster while running and the same on the bike.

I really enjoy food and struggle with portions. Learning to be disciplined and responsible will go a long way. I’m a firm believer in needing to repeat something for a good period of time before it becomes ingrained habit. It’s all about modifying behaviors to gain better results.

My name is Andy and for the last 2 weeks I have not held myself accountable. Please forgive me!

Keep making small steps progress. It all adds up. Just try make every meal a little better.

I am going to be joining this thread as well. I am currently at 190 lbs and looking to drop 5 - 10 lbs. It seems like since I have been training more I am hungry more so I am needing to make smarter choices than in the past. I am still 60 lbs down from my heaviest back in 2002. My approach to start will be doing the 16:8 fasting.

i have no problem with weight, but since my training has ramped up it seems that any excess level of fatigue can be a giant saboteur to my food choices (and i am very good! i was amazed to see myself grab my long bike/ race nougat on the way to a swim yesterday and it was fatigue. and i dont eat sweets/ candy ever!!)… so learning to manage training and life and sleep stress while losing weight, for many reasons including appetite is a good idea… ie dont try too hard to burn both sides of the training excess and calorie deficit candle. slow and gradual is always best. being kind

Andrea makes a great point. There is no easy fix to weight long term weight loss. I feel like my body is fighting me. I keep striving for improvements though. Decrease alcohol consumption, stay away from breads and pastas, easy healthy fruits and veggies and lean protein. Continue to stay active and healthy. Those strategies should lead to weight loss!

I’ve honestly lost a few pounds since I started. I would like it to be more but I haven’t been as disciplined as I should be.

So I have approached this in different ways over the years. I have been able to maintain my weight between 180-190 for the last 10 years. For me I find its good to do a week or two of readjusting my diet to get my focus back and get me off of sweets. I do this about once a year. Due to health problems in the past I have done gluten free, dairy free and sugar free. That resulted in me being a sickly 165 lbs. Which is not good for a person that is 6’1".

I plan on making sure I have plenty of fuel on days I need it but my end result is to make better food choices and hopefully drop 5-10 lbs. I normally don’t need accountability but I am hoping by putting this out there that I will be more aware of my daily routine.

I’m sure Andrea may chime in here. But my understanding is that many white breads and pastas are very simple carbs and can trigger spikes in blood sugar and can trigger additional hunger.

Much better off getting the majority of your carbs from vegetables and whole grains.

for those seeking accountability see my post about setting the day up that i linked today; also here: https://andrea-cullen.com/2018/06/24/set-the-day-up/

so, I suggest that every morning, if you can make a 5 minute silent time slot over your coffee to have a think ahead for the day (or do the night before but generally we are tired and so may not want to even bother doing this task).
what are your nutrition goals for the day, what are the obstacles, how can we do some simple planning and prepping and also set some intentions (e.g. business meeting avoid the cookies right @Coach_Ian haha), long ride make sure recovery is close to hand and that fuelling on the bike is good, long day where are you going to get lunch, can you bring snacks, dinner out what is worth more? Make your choices ahead are you going to go all out? or just have a main? or enjoy a glass of wine or a beer but no dessert etc etc.

set the time to set some intentions and plan for success :heart:

great awareness!

generally cutting the shit out makes a significant difference, to weight but also, drum roll, performance and also training consistency (dont get sick).

you set a goal to have plenty of fuel on days you need it… what about going one step further and being specific in that you will fuel well CLOSE TO TRAINING (ie get the pre-during-post bits appropriate to the session), and go leaner the rest of the day so that you are being even more strategic in your fuelling patterns…

best of luck for the week ahead