Coaches Corner 45 - Lens Tint for Spots, Pain Cave Setup, Taking a Break

In this episode:

• Which color lens are the best for cycling and triathlon?
  • What to consider when buying cycling glasses
  • Pain cave (indoor cycling) setup tips
  • Taking a break from training
    and more!!

Great discussion coaches! I just upgraded my sunglasses this summer to Oakleys and have the prizm lenses in them that are a kind of red/brown color. I also got a reading prescription in the bottom of the lens so I can actually see my Garmin and my phone. This has not kept me from getting lost, but it has put a stop to the often baffling text messages I would send my husband when checking in :grin: Really like them! My everyday sunglasses are polarized Ray Bans with gray lenses. When I am cycling at night or in low light I wear an inexpensive pair of non-prescription cycling glasses that I can change the lenses on and usually use light pink or clear.

In regards to blue light, I wear reading/computer glasses that have both an anti-reflective coating (helps with glare from the fluorescent lights in the library where I work) and a blue light blocker. I can’t say I’ve noticed the blue light blocker making any difference, but maybe it has and I just don’t realize it.

My husband works at LensCrafters so keeps me supplied with good glasses :sunglasses:

Hi Coaches,

Enjoyed the conversation this week. Right now I currently wear Style Switch Oakley’s with grey lenses. They protect my eyes well but I don’t see well with lower light. My wife works as a optical technition/scribe and she is helping me pick out some Maui Jim’s that should help out with the low light issue.

I just upgraded my pain cave with a Tacx Vortex trainer and use a lightning to hdmi adapter from my iphone 8 Plus. It works great and I get to see everything on my 40" TV.

I went this route because my laptop was too old and I couldn’t afford a better one.

As always, I really enjoyed listening to the coaches corner and reading comments.

When I bike (or open water swim), I wear contacts for distance. Then, I use Dual bifocal sunglasses over my contacts so I can read the garmin or cell phone. I use yellow lenses for cloudy days and gray lenses for sunny days. The Dual sunglasses do not give me a headache and are light. They do well in the wind, however they can fog up.

Interesting discussion about optics. I find my sunglasses has some distortion on the edges. I thought this was normal. Good to know that polarization is safe when cycling. I now want to try out a red-pink tint and polarization.

Another great coaches corner. Thank you for explaining all the different types of lenses. I picked up a pair of Rudy project glasses this year after the clear lenses on my smith glasses were so scratched from mountain biking.
My Rudy glasses have 3 lenses. I have the red tint for sunny days road riding. For mountain biking I wear clear lenses 90% of the time. Most of our mountain biking is in heavily wooded forests so they are needed mostly for protection from sand, dirt, mud and branches. I find anything other than clear too dark. For all other riding, gravel and cloudy days, I wear the photo chromatic lenses. The Rudy lenses change very quickly and are actually the best I’ve used.
I don’t wear prescription lenses, so I’m lucky I can still read my wahoo without readers.