Adapting to new shoes is such a pain

So, I finally got new shoes after nearly 12 years.

I don’t mean that I’ve been using the same pair for more than a decade. I’ve just been using the same brand and style for 12 years, Newton Distance S. Due to the ever-shortening life of the shoe, I decided to switch to a Saucony model to try out.

The worst thing about switching shoes is getting used to the new feel. Switching from Newtons especially, there are lugs at the forefront, I have to back down my mileage to get used to the new feel. I plan to use the next week or two getting used to the new shoes before I get back to doing any speed work. We’ll see how it goes, as I try to build up to marathon distance by November.

Anyone else have experience with switching to a drastically different style of shoe?

Im not brave enough to change from brooks! i need the cushioning and more than ever when i do brick runs or triathlon.

I went from some Addidas running shoe to Newton Motion VIIs - it was recommended to me during a run form analysis to help me focus on eliminating my out-front heal striking. These shoes are great and really helped me get my contact point under my hips and now I run pain free (I was starting to get consistent knee pain when I decided to go in for the analysis).

However - it definitely took some time for my calves to adjust and build up the strength required for this running style. I remember them being incredibly sore after my first run in those shoes. The folks at the store told me this would happen and that I should ideally slowly add these shoes into the mix by using them for like 15 minutes and then switching back to the old shoe - but really - who the hell is going to bring two pairs of shoes to run… :joy:

Well, I gave it a go. I tried both Hoka and Saucony shoes. Neither work for me. Thus, I’m going back to my Newtons despite their propensity to wear out quickly.

I run in Hoka Clifton and trail run in Hoka Stinson ATR.

I recently purchased Topo Ultraventure. The shoe has a Vibram® outsole and a 5mm drop. I asked the shoe store for something similar to Hoka, but more support and less cushion. I have not tried hiking or trail running in them yet.

If they don’t work, I will go back to the Hoka.

I also talked to the owner of Sew Go Outdoors and thought her gaiters had nice features. I purchased the tie dye version.

G runs in the kinvarra. he likes them. tried Hoka and ON clouds but stayed true to Kinvara. we are all different!!

i found it very interesting watching all the runners at austria… any shoe with a big cushion underneath their feet almost looked to be sliding on them and if there was any sort of pronation they almost fell off the shoe if this makes sense. i dont like the big soles… from what i saw it isnt helping people. that said i am not an expert. a more “normal” shoe to me looked the best.

Yeah, I am a big fan of going as minimalist as your body can take. Increased cushioning means greater opportunity for uneven settling of the cushion, which can lead to footstrike/stride issues over time. It’s like riding on a very cushioned saddle.

Ok, so I definitely made the right choice by returning to my Newtons. I just eclipsed 50 miles of running for the week, including a 14.5-miler today. Other than being super hot and humid, it felt great. I guess I am stuck spending money on shoes that wear quicker than I prefer, but they make my feet feel wonderful.